This apple crumb cake is a delightful vegan dessert that celebrates the flavors of apple season. It is made with whole grain goodness, making it a healthier option for breakfast, a snack, or even a dessert. This cake is incredibly easy to prepare, requiring just one bowl to mix all the ingredients together.
To take this cake to the next level, a buttery crumb topping can be added. Although optional, I highly recommended it, as it adds a delicious buttery, crunchy texture and enhances the overall taste.
Of course, the star of the cake is the juicy and fragrant apples, which provide a delightful sweetness. But, if you’re not a fan of apples, you can easily switch them out with pears for a different twist.
The apple crumb cake is a versatile treat that can be enjoyed with a cup of your favorite hot beverage, such as coffee or tea. Whether you’re looking for a comforting breakfast option, a satisfying afternoon snack, or a tasty dessert, this apple crumb cake is sure to hit the spot.
Apple Crumb Cake
For the cake:
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice, or vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 medium apple, approximately 1 cup cut into 1/4 inch cubes
For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 oz vegan butter, melted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, optional
To make the cake:
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Line a 6 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add the flax and mix with the water.
- Add in the brown sugar, plant based milk and lemon juice and mix.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla and spices, and mix just until the flour is incorporated.
- Fold in the cubed apple pieces.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared baking pan and spread evenly with rubber spatula or offset spatula.
To make the crumb topping:
- Mix both sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour in medium bowl and whisk to blend.
- Add warm melted butter and toss with a fork until moist clumps form.
- Drop clusters of the crumb topping over the cake.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and topping is deep golden brown.
- Let the cake rest in the pan for 15 minutes.
- If you want you can dust the top of the cake with some powdered sugar before serving.
You may also like: