These vegan pancakes are incredibly fluffy, healthy and easy to make. No one will know that they are made without eggs, dairy, or oil. They are fantastic with just some good maple syrup and vegan butter, or topped with caramelized bananas & walnuts, berries, fruit, chocolate chips, dairy-free nutella, or nut butter.
In order to achieve a perfect balance between a light and a more nutritious pancake, this recipe is made with 50% all-purpose flour, and 50% whole grain flour. Some good options are spelt flour, whole wheat flour, or buckwheat flour.
Replacing the eggs
Eggs are easy to replace in most baked goods. In this recipe, the eggs are replaced with some ground flax seed, which adds extra protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
for light and fluffy pancakes:
Adding an acidic ingredient such as buttermilk in baked goods helps to tenderize the gluten in the flour, making the finished product tender and extra fluffy. Combining the acidic buttermilk with a bit of baking soda forms carbon dioxide gas, which creates lots of bubbles in the batter, making your pancakes even lighter and more tender. Making vegan buttermilk is incredibly easy by adding a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to your favorite plant based milk.
If you like your pancakes with an extra kick of nutrients, feel free to add up to 1/4 cup of seeds, nuts or oats to the batter. Some great options are hemp seeds, chia seeds, chopped nuts, or sunflower seeds.
We enjoy our pancakes thick and fluffy, so I make the batter on the thick side. If you prefer a thinner pancake, just add a bit of extra milk to the batter.
Fluffy Healthy Pancakes
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 1 cup spelt, buckwheat, or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup seeds, nuts, or oats optional
- 1½ cups plant milk I used unsweetened flax milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup optional
For the Banana Walnut Topping:
- 2 bananas sliced
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Place all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- In a measuring cup, add the milk, vinegar and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine.
- Lightly oil a griddle, or non-stick pan, with spray oil or vegan butter.Add ⅓ cup of pancake batter to the pan and cook each pancake over medium heat, for 2-3 minutes per side until golden.
For the Banana Walnut Topping
- Over high heat, add the sliced bananas, walnuts and ¼ cup maple syrup to a non-stick pan. Cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes until the bananas are caramelized.
- Serve over the pancakes.