We used to go to a Peruvian restaurant in NYC called Pio Pio, that had the most incredible green sauce! It was worth going there just for the sauce, so I had to make a vegan version. You are going to want to pour this spicy, garlicky, herby and creamy aji verde on everything – burritos, tacos, Buddha bowls, pasta, empanadas, scrambles, rice, sandwiches, samosas…you might even want to just eat it with a spoon.
Peruvian Aji Verde
- 2 jalapeño chiles stems removed
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- Place all of the sauce ingredients, except the hot sauce and salt, in the bowl of your food processor, (or blender) and process until creamy.
- Depending on how hot the jalapenos are, you may want to add some more hot sauce to taste. Season with salt to taste.