This rich, soft and tender vegan brioche does not contain a hint of dairy or eggs! The brioche is perfect with butter and jam, toasted, and it makes incredible French toast.
This is a simple bread to make, but you will need to knead the dough for at least 10 minutes, so a stand mixer is recommended.
The dough will look shaggy and dry before you add the butter. Don’t be tempted to add more liquid. Add the room temperature butter and continue to knead until the dough comes together into a ball. This step usually takes about 8-10 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when it forms a smooth, soft and satiny ball.
- 3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt omit if using salted butter
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened plant based milk warmed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter room temperature
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the warmed milk and vanilla extract, and begin to knead using the dough hook attachment.
- Mix for 5 minutes – the dough will look shaggy and dry at this point. Add the room temperature butter and continue to knead until the dough comes together into a ball. This may take 8-10 minutes. The dough is ready when it comes together into a soft, satiny and smooth ball.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to rise for about one hour.
- Line a 5 x 9 bread pan with parchment paper and place the brioche dough into the pan. Allow the bread to rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Bake the bread for 30 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.