If you’re longing for those delightful deli sausage, egg, and cheese sandwiches, fear not! Allow me to introduce you to the Breakfast Vegg Sandwich that is sure to put a smile on your face! This hearty and satisfying sandwich is jam-packed with protein, making it an ideal choice for kick-starting your day with gusto. Delicate layers of tofu, are accompanied by breakfast sausage patties and plant-based cheese, all perfectly stacked between slices of toasted English Muffins. It’s breakfast magic in every mouthful!
Using a tofu variety that is not super firm will give you a texture very similar to scrambled eggs. A sprinkling of turmeric powder gives the tofu “eggs” amazing color.
If you want to go all out, adding just a tiny dash of Indian black salt, Kala Namak, will give the tofu that sulfuric, eggy flavor. Kala Namak is a volcanic black salt harvested in the foothills of the Himalayas. It is composed of sodium chloride along with trace amounts of various sulfuric compounds, which give this salt a distinctive eggy taste. The salt crystals appear brownish-pink to dark violet when whole, but change to pink when ground up. Because the salt has a very pungent aroma, you only need to use a pinch in your recipe.
Breakfast Vegg Sandwich
- ½ block firm tofu
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 plant-based sausage patties cooked
- 2 slices plant-based cheese
- 2 English muffins
- 1 teaspoon plant-based butter
- Thinly slice the tofu. Add to a lightly oiled non-stick pan, and sprinkle with the turmeric and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat for about one minute per side.
- Toast the English Muffins, and spread ½ teaspoon of butter on each.
- Layer with a slice of cheese, the cooked sausage patty, and the tofu "egg".