This Hatch Chili Cornbread is incredibly moist and fluffy, thanks to the addition of some vegan buttermilk. Mixing some hatch chili salsa into the batter, gives it a pleasant kick of spiciness, making it the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of hearty vegan chili. Serve the cornbread warm with a dollop of vegan butter, or alongside your favorite soups, stews, or chili.
We think you’ll love this, too!
Hatch Chili Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup hatch chili salsa or your favorite salsa
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and grease a 9-inch baking pan or a cast-iron skillet.
- Combine the plant-based milk and vinegar (or lemon juice), for the vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Pour the buttermilk, olive oil and salsa into the dry ingredients mixture and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a denser texture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish or skillet, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.Serve the cornbread warm with butter, or alongside your favorite soups, stews, or chili.