These fall-inspired Spiced Apple Whoopie Pies take the classic chocolate/vanilla combo to a whole new level! Just imagine two cake-like cookies, flavored with apple butter and fragrant with warm spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Then sandwich them together with a creamy, tangy vegan cream cheese filling, and a luscious apple butter layer. It’s the perfect autumn treat or simply an indulgence any time of the year!
A Satisfying Balance of Cake and Cookie
A whoopie pie falls somewhere between a soft and moist cookie and a dense little cake. It consists of two round pieces of cake-like cookies sandwiched together with a creamy filling. The traditional whoopie pie is made with a chocolate cookie and a vanilla cream filling, but there are countless variations.
It’s pretty unclear where exactly the whoopie pie was first made. Every state in New England seems to believe they’re the true birthplace of these scrumptious, cake-like cookies. One thing’s for sure though, they were probably whipped up from leftover cake batter, and just like other portable treats, such as pasties and empanadas, they were the perfect snack to bring along while working in the fields.
Whether you choose to enjoy these Spiced Apple Whoopie Pies as a cozy evening treat, or share them with loved ones during special occasions, whoopie pies are guaranteed to bring joy and satisfaction with every bite!
We Think you’ll love this, too!
Spiced Apple Whoopie Pies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup apple butter
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and 2 tablespoons water (this replaces the egg). Set aside for a few minutes to allow it to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flax "egg" and apple butter, and spices and mix well.The batter will look like it's separating at this point – not to worry, just keep going.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture Mix until just combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, drop rounded tablespoons of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the cookies are set and slightly firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies and apple slices are cooling, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, spread a layer of apple butter, and a generous amount of the filling on the flat side of one cookie, then sandwich it with another cookie.
- Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling until all the whoopie pies are assembled.
- Serve and enjoy! These whoopie pies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.