This vegan New England Clam Chowder is thick, creamy, and loaded with chunks of creamy new red potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and shiitake mushrooms. The shiitakes provide a chewy texture that makes them the perfect substitute for clams. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or simply looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Old Bay Seasoning is a versatile spice blend that adds a unique and delicious flavor to a wide variety of dishes. With its distinctive blend of celery salt, paprika, black pepper, and various other spices, Old Bay Seasoning is particularly well-known for its affinity with seafood. Old Bay Seasoning can be a fantastic option to add depth and complexity to plant-based recipes, too. In fact, it can be the secret ingredient that transforms a simple vegan chowder into a savory and satisfying dish that rivals its seafood-based counterpart.
We think love this, too!
Vegan New England Clam Chowder
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk my favorites for this soup are soy or oat milk
- 4 medium red potatoes cubed
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chives or sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the vegan butter, or olive oil, over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Toss in the chopped celery, diced carrots, and sliced shiitake mushrooms. Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the vegetables. Add the broth, plant-based milk, cubed red potatoes, dried thyme, bay leaf, Old Bay seasoning and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the soup thickens, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Ladle the vegan New England Clam Chowder into bowls, garnish with fresh chives or green onions, and serve hot with your favorite crusty bread or oyster crackers.