Rice pudding is like the ultimate comfort food that takes us back to those cozy, nostalgic moments from our childhood. Adding a dollop of deliciously spiced pear-ginger compote elevates this humble dessert to a whole new level of elegance, perfect for impressing your friends at a dinner party or a special holiday feast!
Note: This recipe serves 4-6 people, but feel free to double the ingredients if you’re serving a larger crowd. It’s always a good idea to make extra, as this creamy rice pudding is bound to be a hit!
We think you’ll love this, too!
Maple Rice Pudding With Pear-Ginger Compote
- 3 pears Bartlett or Anjou are great choices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup short grain rice Arborio or sushi
- 3½ cups unsweetened plant based milk I use full fat Oatly oat milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick you can use the same one you used in the compote
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the pears are soft but still have a bite.
- Remove from the heat, and pick out the cinnamon stick. Reserve the cinnamon for use in the rice pudding.
Maple Rice Pudding
- In a medium saucepan, combine the plant based milk, maple syrup, salt and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally, to keep the rice from sticking and a skin from forming, allow the rice pudding to simmer for 30 minutes, until the rice is tender, and the liquid has thickened but is not fully absorbed.To avoid the milk bubbling over, don't cover the pot while it's on the heat.
- Remove from heat, and remove the cinnamon stick. Add the vanilla extract. Cover the pudding and allow it to cool. The rice pudding will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Can be served warm, or cold.Reheat in a saucepan, over low heat. Loosen with additional milk as needed, to get the desired consistency.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 days.