During the summer season we love indulging in these glorious pancakes, bursting with the tangy sweetness of plump, fresh blueberries! Each bite is a blissful explosion of flavor. For a luscious twist, consider topping these delectable pancakes with creamy plant-based yogurt, or opt for the timeless classic and add a generous drizzle of rich, dark maple syrup.
So grab your spatula and let’s get flipping!
I was determined to create the ultimate pancake recipe, so I began by experimenting with various combinations of ingredients. I tried different types of flours, mixing in a variety of liquids, and even played around with various leavening agents. But there was something missing from each batch. The texture wasn’t quite right or the flavor fell short of my expectations. Finally, after countless hours of mixing, flipping, and taste-testing, I stumbled upon a revelation. The secret ingredient that elevated these pancakes from ordinary to extraordinary was vegan buttermilk, made by simply adding some lemon juice or vinegar to the plant based milk. Its tangy flavor and unique acidity added a delightful depth to the pancakes, resulting in that perfect balance of fluffiness and tenderness.
Perfect Blueberry Pancakes
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 1 cup spelt, buckwheat, or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup seeds, nuts, or oats optional
- 1½ cups plant milk I used unsweetened flax milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup optional
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- plant based yogurt optional
- maple syrup optional
- Place all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- In a measuring cup, add the milk, vinegar, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Lightly oil a griddle, or non-stick pan, with spray oil or vegan butter.Add ⅓ cup of pancake batter to the pan and cook each pancake over medium heat, for 2-3 minutes per side until golden.
- Serve with some vegan yogurt or maple syrup, and extra blueberries on top.