This Vegan Sausage & Herb Stuffing is studded with mushrooms, vegan sausage, and lots of fragrant herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme. We like to use this stuffing to fill our traditional Thanksgiving Whole Roasted Stuffed Pumpkin.
We used French bread in the stuffing, but any type of bread with a tight crumb, that will be able to soak up all the juices from the vegetables and the broth will work well.
As far as the herbs go, you can use sage, thyme or rosemary…or a combination of all of them. We used all three herbs for a very herby and aromatic stuffing.
This Vegan Sausage and Herb Stuffing is fantastic in our Whole Roasted Stuffed Pumpkins.
Vegan Sausage & Herb Stuffing
- 4 cups French bread cubed
- 2 vegan sausages crumbled
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, rosemary and/or thyme chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp vegan butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Tear, or cube, bread in roughly ½ inch pieces. Spread bread evenly on a couple of baking sheets, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Toast for about 10-15 minutes, until the bread is golden and crunchy.
- While the bread is toasting, add two tablespoons olive oil to a pan; add the vegan sausage and brown over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped celery, mushrooms and onion and cook over medium heat until golden. Add the minced garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Place the dried bread cubes in a large baking dish. Add the cooked vegetables, vegan sausage and chopped herbs and toss together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vegetable stock over the bread cubes and vegetables.The bread should be moist but not soggy – you may not need to use all of the vegetable broth.
- Dot with the vegan butter.
- Cover the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more until the top is crunchy.
- Serve as a side dish, or use this stuffing recipe as a filling for Roasted Stuffed Pumpkins.
You might also like: