This exquisite Tomato Tart Tatin is the perfect way to celebrate the bountiful summer tomato season. To create a stunning mosaic of colors, that are certain to brighten up your table, use a variety of sliced and/or cherry tomatoes. The salty, briny olives, and creamy vegan cheese, provide a delightful contrast to the sweetness of the tomatoes.
This luscious summer tart is baked up-side-down, preventing any threat of a soggy crust, as the juicy tomatoes bake in the oven. The combination of tomato juices and balsamic vinegar will also caramelize at the bottom of the skillet, infusing the tart with irresistible flavor.
You will need one 9 inch pie crust. Feel free to use our Vegan All-Butter Pie Crust, or your favorite crust recipe, or even a vegan store bought crust.
After you arrange the vegetables in the bottom of the cast iron or oven proof skillet, (no plastic handles!) place your rolled out crust gently on top. Tuck the edges of the crust into the side of the skillet, and fill in any cracks in the crust.
Once the tart is baked, allow the pan to cool for 10-15 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the tart. Place a serving dish on top of the pan, and quickly but carefully flip the pan over.
I often prefer to use a blend of sliced tomatoes and halved cherry tomatoes in a variety of vibrant hues. The combination of reds, oranges, and yellows creates a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors, resulting in a gorgeous and visually striking tart.
The addition of tangy, briny olives creates a delightful contrast to the sweetness of the baked tomatoes. To elevate the flavors even further, generously dollop some Dairy-free Boursin, a perfect substitute for soft goat cheese. Alternatively, you can opt for chunks of vegan feta.
Fresh Tomato Tart Tatin
- cast iron skillet, or oven proof pan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch slices or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ recipe Vegan All-Butter Pie Crust or one 9 inch pie crust
- ¼ cup olives pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup Dairy-free Boursin, or vegan feta
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for about 15 minutes until caramelized.
- Add the chopped garlic, salt & pepper, and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Grease the bottom of a clean 9 inch cast iron, or oven proof skillet, with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes, or halved cherry tomatoes on the bottom of the skillet.
- Sprinkle the caramelized onions, and dried oregano over the top of the tomatoes. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.
- Roll out the pie crust into approximately a 10 inch round.
- Top the tomatoes and onions with the crust, tucking the edges into the pan.
- Bake until the crust is golden, about 45 minutes.
- Allow the tart to cool in the skillet for 10 minutes. Run a knife around pastry to loosen it from pan, and flip tart out onto a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with the chopped olives. Add dollops of the vegan cheese (if using), and scatter some fresh basil over the top of the tart.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately, or serve at room temperature.