These mouthwatering vegan Steak-less Fajitas will surely make your taste buds dance with delight. Sizzling strips of tender and juicy beefless steak tips, (or thinly sliced tempeh strips), caramelized onions and tangy peppers are infused with a zesty tequila marinade that is bursting with flavor.
So grab a soft, warm tortilla, and pile on the succulent filling. Don’t forget to add some bright and vibrant layers of freshness to every bite by garnishing your fajitas with a dollop of creamy guacamole, a sprinkle of fragrant chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
For the steak, I used Trader Joe’s Korean Beefless Bulgogi which are incredibly steak-like and delicious. If you would prefer to use more of a whole food option, thinly sliced tempeh strips are another fantastic option.
Keep in mind that not all tequila is vegan, so check the brand before you buy it. Jose Cuervo, is a vegan brand that is widely available.
- 1 package Trader Joe's Korean Beefless Bulgogi or one package tempeh, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce or to taste
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1½ oz tequila
- chopped cilantro
- 8 tortillas
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.Add the beefless steak, or sliced tempeh, and cook about 2 minutes per side until nicely browned and seared.Set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, add the sliced onions, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, just until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Pour the soy sauce, liquid smoke, tequila, the herbs & spices, and hot sauce to the pan. Cook over high heat until most of the liquid evaporates, about 2-3 minutes.
- While the sauce is reducing, heat up the tortillas. Turn a burner on a medium low flame. Place a tortilla on each flame and let it char about 30 seconds to 1 minute, flip the tortilla and repeat on the second side. Once heated and charred, remove the tortilla to a clean kitchen towel and wrap to keep warm. Repeat until you have warmed all of your tortillas.
- Add the steak bits, or tempeh, back into the pan. Drizzle with the lime juice, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- To serve, spread some guacamole on a tortilla, top with a few slices of steak, peppers and onions. Roll up the tortilla to enclose the filling.